Assurance mapping – a practitioner’s workshop
An assurance map (AMAP) is a tool to ensure key risks are assured across your organisation – driving out gaps and overlaps in the assurance jigsaw. The idea seems straightforward but there are many stories of lengthy, complex and incomplete assurance mapping efforts. This workshop will give you a good grounding in the principles and practical application of AMAPs so that you can start using this approach with greater confidence in a range of ways – from audit planning to assignment management; from overall audit opinions to the delivery of efficiency opportunities between audit and compliance functions.
What will I learn?
- deliver AMAPs in a timely and cost effective way, with clear benefits for key stakeholders
- save time and effort in terms of delivering AMAPs with internal resources, or managing the efforts of others
- recognise the key components of an effective assurance map
- assess your current efforts and plans to deliver an assurance map so that you can avoid the common pitfalls and difficulties, including important lessons concerning the scope of an assurance
- map and key stakeholders to engage
- build a realistic business case for an assurance map, including likely ‘quick wins’
- prioritise your current efforts and understand future opportunities, including assurance scorecards and synergy opportunities
- IIA and other definitions of an assurance map
- the different assurance maps and their benefits
- a framework for progressing with assurance maps
- the common pitfalls
- case studies – financial controls, compliance, projects, streamlined board reporting
- frameworks for improving the co-ordination between audit and assurance providers
- how assurance mapping can support synergy reviews
- implications of an assurance approach for audit planning and assignments
- review of progress / plans in your organisation and insights on key areas to prioritise
8 en 9 oktober 2019
09:00 tot 17:00 uur
IIA Academy, Burgemeester Stramanweg 102a, Amsterdam
Prijs leden / niet-leden
€1150,- / €1300,-
CAE's en internal audit managers
Minimaal 5 en maximaal 10 deelnemers
"I effectively learned a lot in a what was a compressed one day and a half training about assurance mapping. James was able to explain the complexity and tried to make it simple. Nice balance of theory and practice. I feel confident in applying a different approach to different audits. I liked the easy going atmosphere. James is actually one of my favored instructors. He is always very approachable and encouraging. He knows exactly how to trigger you to think about how to approach assurance mapping, that in relation to your own organization. Exceeded my expectations."
James C. Paterson is a finance professional who then became the Chief Audit Executive for AstraZeneca PLC. He has been consulting and training since 2010 and delivers workshops for 12 IIA institutes across Europe, including Belgium. Finland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK. James has also presented at several 3 IIA International conferences on a range of topics. He is the author of the book “Lean Auditing” which is about new ways of auditing to drive efficiency and effectiveness and added value. His specialist areas of work include Assurance Mapping, Root cause analysis, Audit culture and influencing and political savvy for internal auditors.