The Internal Audit Ambition Model is reviewed by the Guidance Development Committee and approved for alignment with the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF). The model includes references to publications of IIA Global, the Internal Audit Foundation, IIA Netherlands and the IFAC Code of Ethics. A link to the International Standard on Auditing (ISA) 610, using the Work of Internal Auditors is included as well. The model has been validated with CAEs, the Committee of Professional Practices (CPP) and the Quality Assessments Committee (CKT) of IIA Netherlands during the various stages of its development.
- A self-assessment framework, for assessing the capabilities of their IAF against the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards) and good practices.
- A road map for improvement, to help the IAF identify the possible areas of development and potential gaps in their audit department and decide on the necessary actions to close these gaps.
- A communication vehicle, as a basis for communicating within the IAF and with its stakeholders what is meant by effective internal auditing, how it serves an organization and its stakeholders, and for advocating the importance of internal auditing to decision makers.
- A benchmark tool, to compare the quality level of the IAF with other Internal Audit Functions, similar in size, industry, location and/or duration of existence.
The five ambition levels which can be achieved, illustrate the stages through which an IAF can evolve as it defines, implements, measures, controls and improves its processes and practices to meet its ambitions.
The outcome of the six IA AM questionnaires based on the themes, result in a visual dashboard (with bar charts and the 'spider web') which portrays the IPPF level, the IAFs current level and the IAFs ambition level.
The IA AM has been transformed to an online tool. The new tool offers the same content as the previous Excel tool, but is more user-friendly. The online tool is easier to fill in and saves answers automatically. In addition, with enough users, the online IA AM tool offers an ongoing benchmark feature.
The second edition of the IA AM is published and presented at the European IIA Conference in Madrid. Further professionalization was implemented based on feedback and developments in the field. The model was enriched with good practices.
Knowledge groups were formed to discuss various themes in order to come up with concrete suggestions in response to the benchmark. The output of each group was subsequently challenged again in a plenary session and reviewed by the Professional Practices Committee.
The IA AM got a small update. The updated Standards were implemented and adjustments are made to increase user-friendliness.
The Internal Audit Ambition Model benchmark performed in the spring of 2017, gives an insight into the state and ambition levels of the IAFs in the Netherlands in the current demanding environment of internal audit.
State of Internal Audit in the Netherlands: Internal Audit Ambition Model benchmark 2017 (PDF)
A group of internal auditors expressed the wish to develop an ambition model that provides insight into how an IAF can grow into complying with professional standards. The first edition of the IA AM is published.
- At which local IIA institute you are a member
Burgemeester Stramanweg 105F
1101 AA Amsterdam Contact opnemen
IIA is dé toonaangevende beroepsorganisatie voor internal auditors. Een lidmaatschap laat u delen in de collectieve kennis van alle vakgenoten in de wereld.